Chris Tarrant quizzes Uri Geller
13th September 1999
Millionaires, but are they up to Tarrant’s TV challenge?
IT’S the game show that has got the world on the edge of its seat. Who Wants to be a Millionaire? is the general knowledge quiz where contestants try to turn £100 into £1million. The ITV show, hosted by Chris Tarrant, has been pulling in audiences of up to 19 million and last week fireman Jonathan Green from Essex became first player to win £250,000. We quizzed some real-life millionaires. Just like contestants, they could call a friend to help or go 50-50 on two questions. This is how they got on. Could you do better? The questions are printed below and the answers are at the bottom of this page.
URI GELLER, who is worth at least £5million, did what no real life challenger has done – reach £1million. But the psychic had to ask for a 50-50 on the Maundy money and consulted his son Daniel on the name that linked the presenters of Points of View. He said: “I guessed the £1million question by assessing the patterns of the right answers through the rest of the quiz.”
1. If you are in your birthday suit, what are you wearing?
- Your best clothes
- Your work clothes
- A nappy
2. Which pop group fronted by Simon Le Bon had its first hit in 1981
- Duran Duran
- Depeche Mode
- Haircut 100
3. What did Lazio Biro invent?
- Ball point pen
- Rubic cube
- Instant coffee
4. On what day of the week does the Queen give away Maundy Money?
- D. Friday
5. In which sport might you traverse the piste?
6. What can Australia boast to have the biggest of in the world?
- Coral reef
7. What name links three presenters of BBC’s Points of View?
8. In which country is Soave wine produced?
9. In which of these countries do motorists drive on the left?
10. To which of these might a ‘codicil’ be added?
- A musical score
- A will
- A statue
- A headache pill
11. What is a funambulist?
- A tight-rope walker
- A sleepwalker
- A firewalker
- A fell walker
12. In which of these countries do motorists drive on the right?
13. Which of these people was alive in 1823?
- Jane Austen
- Lord Byron
- Percy Shelley
- John Keats
14. What first went on sale in Britain in 1900?
- Potato crisps
- Coca Cola
15. What do people with gephyrphobia fear?
- Being alone
- Being touched
- Crossing bridges
- Standing upright
Motivational Inspirational Speaker
Motivational, inspirational, empowering compelling 'infotainment' which leaves the audience amazed, mesmerized, motivated, enthusiastic, revitalised and with a much improved positive mental attitude, state of mind & self-belief.